NEW YORK MILITARY ACADEMY ARCHIVES
Booth Library - N. Y. Military Academy - 78 Academy Avenue - Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY 12520 | 845-534-3710
The holdings of the New York Military
Archives include many photographs, documents, administrative records,
memorabilia and artifacts that document New York Military Academy's
history since its founding in 1889. Many items were donated by alumni
from their personal collections. This exhibit presents just a small
sampling of the academy's historical treasures. As time permits, additional
items will be digitized and made available online.
Click on the thumbnail image to see a larger version
Charles Jefferson Wright, founder and first superintendent, is seated in the center of the front row.
From the founding of the academy in 1889, athletics have always been an important part of school life. Indeed, the first interscholastic competition was in baseball in the spring of 1890.
Taken in front of Jefferson Hall, the old main building.
Juan Seix, class of 1893
This photograph of one of the academy's early graduates is typical of the many cadet senior portraits in the photograph collections of the archives.
|Class of 1902
Standing on the steps of Jefferson Hall, the old main building.
Cadets were instructed in loading and firing field cannon, and mounting and dismounting cannon and carriage--technically known as "standing gun drill" and "mechanical maneuvers."
Situated approximately where the present Academic Building is located, Jefferson Hall, the old main building, was originally the Glen Ridge House, a summer resort hotel dating from Civil War days. After it closed in the 1880's, Charles Jefferson Wright purchased the property and opened New York Military Academy on September 17, 1889. This image is one of the many postcards in the collection.
of Editors (1918)
This photo, taken somewhere in Jones Barracks, shows The Ramble staff at work on the school newspaper.
|Hop Card (1921)
From the 1890's through the 1920's dance cards were used by the young ladies being escorted by cadets to record their dance partners.
Card (date unknown)
Probably produced in the 1920's or 1930's, this card depicts the front of the Academic Building. The message inside reads: "Hearty greetings for Christmas and every good wish for the coming year."
The annual celebration of Parents' Day held during the weekend of May 6, 1932, was filled with activities including a dress parade, sporting events, a concert in Davis Chapel, a dance, a Mother's Day chapel service and Sunday dinner in the mess hall. An impressive array of "motor cars" are parked on the campus in this view looking north towards Bard Hall where Scarborough Hall is now located.
|NYMA from the
Looking northeast towards the Hudson River, this is the earliest of many airviews of the campus in the photograph collections. Note that Route 9W had not yet been constructed. What is now Faculty Row was the main road to Newburgh.
|Ticket for Little
Army-Navy Football Game (1935)
For several years beginning in 1934, New York Military Academy and Admiral Farragut Academy competed in what became known as the Little Army-Navy game. Although the two schools continued to compete in football until the 1971 season, the Little Army-Navy series ended in 1959. It was briefly revived in 1992 and 1993.
Previously located in the Academic Building, the library was moved to the former residence of Brigadier General Milton F. Davis, third superintendent. Built in 1916, the building was renamed Booth Library in honor of Fred Booth, loyal friend of the academy and trustee from 1910-1934. The photograph was taken in the present reference room of the library.
The Manual Training Department, as it was called, was located in the basement of the Academic Building in the space now occupied by the Art Department. "Skill in the use of tools is a very useful adjunct to any boy's training," is how the school catalog of the time put it. For many years, Harold J. MacDonald (standing in the center) was both the manual training and the mechanical drawing teacher.
First opened in January 1928, the canteen was a popular gathering-place for generations of NYMA cadets.
|Ring Hop (1951)
This photo depicts the traditional ceremony of "going through the ring" at the annual Ring Hop normally held on Mother's Day weekend. The first Ring Hop was held in 1936 and is based on a custom borrowed from the United States Naval Academy.
All-America Camp Patch (c. 1955)
at Camp Smith (1962)
Joseph Angello '32, Commandant of Cadets and Anthony "Ace" Castellano '43, Assistant Commandant, members of the New York Guard, training at Camp Smith, Peekskill, NY, in July 1962.
|Sick Call (1966-67)
Morning sick call in the infirmary with Helen Castellano, Head Nurse.
An annual tradition begun in 1930 and presented for many years on the night before Christmas or spring furlough, Yea Furlough was a popular venue for musical variety, satirical looks at cadet life, and on occasion, Broadway plays. The 1972 production, "Where's Irving?", was a spoof in 25 skits and commercials on the school trying to locate a cadet whose mother is calling him.
|Old Maple (c.
For generations of NYMA cadets, the Old Maple in the center of the quadrangle was the focal point for various outdoor ceremonies held "under the Old Maple", including the annual Presentation Ceremony(awarding of commissions and warrants, and military honors), and graduation exercises. A wind storm destroyed the tree on March 21, 1976.
|Math Class (1986-87)
A teacher keeps a watchful eye on two cadets in Algebra 2 class.
|Band Trip to
During Christmas furlough in December 1997, the band traveled to Paris, France for music festival and parade.
Top of Page | Library Main Page | NYMA Main Page
Last updated: January 19, 2005